Sunday, August 22, 2010

Wings: Part One

I'm going faerie for the first time in my faire history, so I need a pair of wings. I want to make my own so they'll be perfect, because it's hard for me to find products made by others that seem perfect for my persona. Of course my first pair probably won't really be perfect, but by next year I'll have wing making down.

As with any project I first started by doing a bit of research. I looked through the threads on the ren fest forums. I looked through google images and even watched a video on you tube. But I didn't want the normal wings of panty hose material on wire frame. Everyone has those so mine wouldn't stand out very well. I got the idea of just using the wire and not covering, but instead maybe spray painting it. That might not work, but I won't know until I try.

The next step in any project is design. Here are mine.
four wing designs by Kehle

As with any good artist, I named my designs. The top left are Flutter Inot, the top right are Flower Garden, the bottom left are Webfly, and the bottom right are Shooting Inot.

I fully intended to wear the Flower Garden myself, but when I started playing with my wire I tried for the Fluttering Inot design because it looked easier to make. Now I've got something halfway between each. Still probably closer to the Flower Garden.

This is no where near finished. I might add more swirls for example. I will add colored craft or flower wire in swirl type designs as well as beads and charms. I may or may not hang ribbon from the wings and I've yet to paint them. I'm not sure the paint will go as planned, but the wings are easier to make then they look so if I screw them up I can just try again.

First look at wings

No comments:

Post a Comment